Mill Creek Guidance Program
Welcome! The Mill Creek Comprehensive Guidance Program is designed to meet the needs of every student. Our services promote student success through a focus on academic achievement, prevention and intervention activities, advocacy and social/personal/emotional and career development. Services include but are not limited to standardized testing and assessment, classroom guidance lessons that promote the six pillars of Character Education, and Responsive Services.
The “responsive services” we provide assist students with particular needs such as adjusting to a new school, coping with grief following a crisis, accommodations for students with disabilities, prevention, and dealing with behaviors. These services are provided through individual and small group counseling, as well as outside referrals to professionals trained in mental health and other specialties.
Mission & Purpose
The mission of school counseling is to provide a developmental and systematic comprehensive program that ensures academic, personal, and career development and achievement for all students. The program is proactive and preventative in its focus and enhances the learning process by assisting students in acquiring critical skills for life-long learning and success. It is developed according to professional standards and appropriate models of best practices in the field as an integral part of education.
Utilizing leadership, advocacy, and collaboration, a school counselor promotes student success, provide preventive services, and respond to identified student needs by implementing a comprehensive school guidance program that addresses academic, career, and personal/social development of all students.
Duties and Responsibilities of the Guidance Counselor
- Provide individual and group counseling to students with identified needs and concerns.
- Consult and collaborate effectively with parents/guardians, teachers, administrators, and other educational resources regarding students with identified needs and concerns.
- Conduct classroom guidance lessons on topics such as the 6 character pillars, bullying, and career exploration.
- Coordinate all district and state tests and assessments.
- Coordinate the gifted screening process for applicable students.
- Monitor student academic performance, behavior, and attendance to assist with appropriate interventions.
- Member of RTI (Response to Intervention) team.
- Consult with faculty in order to assist them in developing effective classroom management techniques.
- Coordinate Character Counts week activities.
- Establish school-based procedures for assisting in the proper maintenance of student records.
- Provide additional services as required by the principal and assistant principal.